These case studies are examples of how we’ve helped our clients. You may also like to read testimonials (what our clients are saying…).
- Coaching Civilians on Military Bases
Coaching Civilians on Military Bases
Distributed Accountability Promotes Success
Client Challenge: Not only as military base realignment has led to specific base closures; but, for those that remain open the number of employed civilians has increased. Military bases now rely on civilians to fill many in-demand positions, including human resources, engineering, commissary supply, nursing in healthcare clinics, and budget support. As civilians are not enlisted personnel reporting to the base commander, departments and work teams were finding it difficult to accomplish assignments when the ultimate decision makers were distributed throughout the base units.
After our assessments, we understood the elements that delayed timely decision making for these teams:
- The work teams did not have ultimate decision making power, consequently they did feel not accountable for the planning and project strategies. They did not feel involved so they missed critical planning meetings.
- The newly hired civilian staff felt the culture was one of ‘fear’. If they made any mistakes, they would be severely punished. The result of this mood of fear removed any initiative for creative ideas on how projects could be accomplished in a timelier manner.
- From our observation at combined team meetings, we did not hear verbal communication that encouraged leadership behavior and accountability.
Our Solution: We proposed the method of distributed power among team members. As a highly recognized method of self-governance, decision making enabled within the work groups improved their time and budget deadlines. Also, we helped the teams identify significant working practices that specified what process the team leaders would do to arrive at decisions, how they would promote visibility for the members, how their culture would be shared and nurtured by all, thus, strengthening the team’s identity with empowerment.
Their Results: At the conclusion of the 4-month program, the work teams appointed team leaders; and, connected with other unit staff more often, not just in times of trouble. They re-enforced that value could be produced from a culture where trust is nurtured and all care about the bases’ end goals. To sustain themselves, the team members now knew what they could make happen without undue ridicule or blame for creativity.
- Increasing Small Business Visibility
Increasing Small Business Visibility
Spa Products Distribution & Profits
Client Challenge: A small woman owned business, in Santa Fe, NM, wanted a larger distribution and prominence for the herbal based spa product line she produced. She explained her first challenge was positioning the products against the brand name competition; and, she desired the product line to be utilized by the major resorts in the greater Santa Fe and northern Taos area.
Our Solution: Specifically with Stephan’s assistance, these processes were implemented:
- Arranged several radio interviews detailing the healthful constituents of the spa products and the uniqueness of the elements in the line from the NM region.
- Scheduled marketing sessions with the larger tourist resorts and distributed samples for them to use in their facilities for a month.
- Revamped the manufacturing processes for increased production and hired additional staff to meet greater product supply.
- To gain neighborhood familiarity, she provided personnel to demo and sell the body lotions inside the leading Whole Foods health department.
Their Results: In the next four months, she was selected as the premier provider for spa services in five of the major known resorts in the greater Santa Fe and northern Tesuque territory. Annual sales increased by approximately 30% and the owner was then able to finance another manufacturing facility.
Read Testimonials for Walks Beside Coaching and Consulting.
Questions? Comments? Feel free to contact us.